A Student Council is a representative structure through which students in the college can become involved in the affairs of the college, working in partnership with the management, staff and students for the benefit of the college and its students.
Role of the Student Council
- To promote the interests of the students
- To assist and advise the students
- To be the link between students and teachers and management.
Responsibilities of the Student Council
- Attending student council meetings and providing guidance, advice and information if requested
- Providing training and team development activities for the students.
- Assisting the students in liaising with management.
- Liaising between the students and staff by putting students issues on the agenda at staff meetings.
- Encouraging staff to invite members of the student council to attend staff meetings and encouraging the student council to invite staff members to their meetings.
- Helping to raise the profile of the students.
- Helping to ensure the student council becomes part of the structure of the department and that it is involved in all aspects of college life.
- Ensuring that students issues are on the agenda at board of management meetings.
- Monitoring and evaluating the development of the students.